Roasting vegetables always seems to bring out the best in them. As they crisp up in the oven, they become sweeter and exceedingly tender, revealing more of their true essence.
This is especially true of asparagus, which can become rubbery or wilted if steamed or boiled. But gently roasted in the oven with a little olive oil and salt, it is perfection. Even better, beautiful, thick-stemmed asparagus is in season right now at the for only $2/bunch.
This vegetable dish pairs roasted asparagus with lemon and parmesan reggiano—its favorite partners. This dish is simple to make and perfect for breakfast, brunch or dinner.
Roasted Asparagus with Lemon & Parmesan
serves 4 people
cooking time: about 20 minutes
- 2 bunches of asparagus, tips snapped off
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- parmesan reggiano for grating
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Place the asparagus in a roasting pan and top with the olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the asparagus is lightly caramelized and tender, but not overcooked.
- Remove from the oven and arrange the asparagus on a serving platter.
- Grate some parmesan reggiano on top and garnish with the lemon wedges.
The West Hollywood Farmers' Market is held every Monday (rain or shine) from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Plummer Park, 1200 N. Vista St.