Greetings and welcome to City Scoop. Today is Thursday, June 14, the 166th day of 2012. Today is also Flag Day, the day when the nation comemorates the adoption of the American flag. Here’s what’s going on in West Hollywood today.
The new Sunset Strip Market debuts offering a hybrid market that’s part farmers’ market, part entertainment and part educational. Featuring local produce vendors and artisan goods, live music and cooking demonstrations, the goal of the Market is to allow residents the chance to shop at the market after work and also highlight the Sunset Strip’s reputation as a nightlife destination. The Market runs 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. at 8755 Sunset Boulevard, in the former Tower Records parking lot, just east of Horn Avenue.
The monthly TRIBE discussion group for gay men will talk about what family means to gay men. Discussion topics include: gay parents, families without children, chosen and biological families, marriage equality, poly relationships and family traditions (holidays, birthdays, funerals and weddings). TRIBE meets on the second Thursday of each month at 7:30 p.m. in the Community Room in .
The Lesbian and Gay Advisory Board meets at 7 p.m. in . Among the items on the agenda are final preparations for the Rainbow Key Awards and consideration of a mission statement. The Performing Arts and Cultural Affairs subcommittee meets at 5 p.m. in . Items on the agenda include the Summer Sounds and Winter Sounds concert series. Both meetings are open to the public.
Bands Playing in Town
- Los Angeles Music Awards at the Whisky a Go Go. Doors open at 7 p.m.
- Urban Fairytails Burlesque at the Viper Room. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.
- Freddie Gibbs at the Viper Room. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.
- Right The Stars with WhiteHorse, Viza, La Velvet, and Thunder From Heaven at House of Blues. Doors open at 7:30 p.m., show at 8 p.m.
- Phantom Plane with Blake Mills at the Troubadour. Doors open at 8 p.m.
- LA Confidential at Roxy Theater. Show starts at 8 p.m.
- Action Bronson at Roxy Theater. Show starts at 8 p.m.
- Hype Thursdays at the Key Club. Doors open at 10 p.m., show at 10:30 p.m.