Greetings and welcome to City Scoop. Today is Thursday, July 26, the 208th day of 2012. Here’s what’s going on in West Hollywood today.
Comedian Sarah Silverman brings her zany but oh-so-precise observations on life to Largo at the Coronet Theatre for her monthly show there. Joining her this month is British actor/comedian Russell Brand, best known to American audiences for Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Get Him to the Greek and the remake of Arthur. The show is listed as sold out, so take a chance if you’re a fan. Doors open at 7:30 p.m., show at 9 p.m.
In the early 1970s, a Latino singer-songwriter named Rodriquez was poised to set the rock world on fire, only to see his debut album flop. Decades later in South Africa, the late singer found that ever elusive success when a group of teens connected to his music via a bootleg copy of his album. The new documentary Searching for Sugar Man examines his new found fame and what happened to the profits from his recordings. A big hit at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival, Searching for Sugar Man screens at 7:30 p.m. at the Silent Movie Theatre, 611 Fairfax Avenue. The screening is free but advance registration is needed on the theatre’s website.
The Sunset Strip is the happening place on Thursday nights thanks to the , a certified farmers’ market that also features live music and cooking demonstrations. This week the Market will include a special chef dinner presented by Katana featuring an heirloom tomato garden salad and robata skewers (chicken and green onion and grilled Brussels sprouts). Live music is by Trevor Menear & Justine Bennett, Susan James and Leslie Lowe. Open 5-9 p.m., the is in the old Tower Records overflow parking lot, just east of Horn Avenue.
Boards and Commissions
- The Rent Stabilization Commission will meet at 7 p.m. in the Community Room of the . On the agenda is a study session that includes goals for 2012-2013 and a review of bylaws.
- The Women’s Advisory Board will meet at 7 p.m. in the Community Center in . On the agenda is a study session for the group’s 2012-2014 workplan.
Bands Playing in Town
- The Horrids with Cigarettes & Caviar and Gummo 13 at the Whisky a Go Go. Doors open at 6 p.m.
- Local Rock at House of Blues. Doors open at 7 p.m., show at 8 p.m.
- The Company Men at Key Club. Doors open at 7:30 p.m., show at 8 p.m.
- London Cries (formerly Juke Kartel) with Perfect Nines, Open Air Stereo and 2nd Wheel at Viper Room. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.
- Kid Ink with Vaughn, Foxsta, PL and Sunnyside at Roxy Theatre. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.
- Teenage Bottlerocket with The Dopamines, Elway and Margate at the Troubadour. Doors open at 8 p.m.