Greetings and welcome to City Scoop. Today is Friday, May 18, the 139th day of 2012. Here’s what’s going on in West Hollywood today.
The Apostle, a one-act opera by Gamma Skupinsky, a Russian composer who now lives in West Hollywood, has its world premier. Based on Anton Chekhov’s story The Black Monk, the opera focuses on creative people, their obsessions and their realities. The WHOpera Group puts on the opera as part of the , going on through Sunday. The Apostle performs at 6 p.m. in Fiesta Hall in . Free.
Author Brandon Jones has made a splash with his debut novel, All Woman & Springtime. Often compared to Memoirs of a Geisha, this novel follows two girls growing up in a forced-labor camp in North Korea who end up as sex workers in South Korea and then the United States. Jones discusses and signs copies of his book at 7 p.m. at .
Residents wanting to do business in will have limited opportunities to do so. As Patch previously , City Hall operates under a “Modified Friday” schedule every other week of the year, which results in most City Hall employees having those Fridays off. That means, only transactions at the first-floor Permit Parking and Cashier Counters are available. For more information, call 323-848-6392.
Bands Playing in Town
- Gaslight Anthem at Roxy Theater. Shows starts at 6 p.m.
- Sponge with the Lonely Drunks Club Band, Future Villains, Sidewinders and Vendetta Red at the Viper Room. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.
- Skinmask with 8 Balls, Starke, Shrapnull and UnderSL at Whiskey a Go Go. Show starts at 8 p.m.
- Great Lake Swimmers with Cold Specks at the Troubadour. Doors open at 8 p.m.
- Maya Rudolph & Gretchen Lieberum Are Princess: An Evening of The Music Of Prince at Largo. Show starts at 8:30 p.m.
- Kingsley with Scarlett, My Pretty Little War and The Monochromes at Roxy Theatre. Show starts at 9:15 p.m.
- Clockwork Orange at Key Club. Show starts at 10:30 p.m.