Greetings and welcome to City Scoop. Today is Tuesday, May 22, the 143rd day of 2012. Here’s what’s going on in West Hollywood today.
In honor of Harvey Milk Day, the city will host a panel discussion about Milk’s legacy. Assassinated in 1978, Milk was the first openly gay man elected to public office in America. “Got Milk – The Collision of the Arts & Social Justice in the Post-Harvey Milk Era” starts at 7 p.m. in the City Council Chamber in the building. Film clips from Academy-Award-winning 1984 documentary The Times of Harvey Milk will also be show along with a student film on Milk’s legacy. The event is free; a dessert reception will follow.
The city observes its 2012 Historic Preservation Celebration with an event around the swimming pool at the Hollywood Riviera apartment building, one of the city’s mid-Century architectural gems designed by famed architect Edward Fickett, FAIA. Refreshments will be served while two different jazz trios perform. Several noted architectural experts will also discuss “LA’s Pool Culture.” The free event runs 6-8:30 p.m. at the 1400 Hayworth Ave. Free parking available a half block away at the Sunset Lofts, 7950 Sunset Blvd (opposite the Directors Guild of America building).
Learn how to grow vegetables for your salad right on your apartment balcony. Gardening consultant, Alicia de Soto, will help you become an environmental steward and grow vegetables or herbs in either a window sill planter or a pot on your balcony. Samples will be distributed to get you started. The demonstration runs 2-3 p.m. in the Community Center in . Admission is free. Simultaneous translation in Russian will be available.
Bands Playing in Town
- The Sights with The Blessings, Degero, Paper Hearts and Vintage Tuesdays at Whiskey a Go Go. Doors open at 7 p.m.
- Apocalyptour at House of Blues. Show starts at 7:30 p.m.
- Kaos and Kronik Tour with Kottonmouth Kings and Twiztid at the Key Club. Show starts at 7:30 p.m.
- Mishka & Anuhea with Micah Brown and True Press at the Viper Room. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.
- Sparta with Ki:Theory at the Troubadour. Doors open at 8 p.m.