A man using a flammable gas to extract the active ingredient from marijuana was hospitalized with first- and second-degree burns after he sparked an explosion at his West Hollywood apartment. Read about that and more top stories from Jan. 20-26.
1. The apartment blast caused two units to be red tagged, displacing 12 other people, according to the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
2. A 90-year-old woman suffered from smoke inhalation during a fire at a West Hollywood apartment building.
3. President Barack Obama was inaugurated, coinciding with the national observance of Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday.
4. The West Hollywood City Council allocated $1.5 million for preserving historic buildings and creating public park space at 1343 Laurel Ave., also known as Tara or Laurel Park.
5. The U.S. Postal Service plans to move the post office at 820 N. San Vicente Blvd.