As it has done for years, the City of West Hollywood will once again welcome thousands of runners competing in the Asics 2013 Los Angeles Marathon on Sunday, March 17.
Billed as the “Stadium to the Sea” race, the epic annual event will begin at Dodger Stadium and culminate at Ocean Avenue in Santa Monica.
Along the way, an estimated 25,000 marathoners will pass through a remarkable set of historic locations, including some in West Hollywood.
Weho’s prominent landmarks will be between miles 13 and 15 of the 26.2-mile course, according to the City of West Hollywood’s official website.
The marathon route through West Hollywood will begin at Sunset Boulevard and Havenhurst Drive on the city’s eastside. It will then lead west on Sunset Boulevard, along a string of landmarks that will include the Sunset Tower and the renowned Whisky a Go Go and Viper Room music venues.
Doubtlessly invigorated by Weho’s cultural monuments, runners will reach San Vicente Boulevard and hang a right onto Santa Monica Boulevard, past the Troubadour, before exiting the city at Doheny Drive, where they will find themselves in Beverly Hills.
The following West Hollywood streets will be closed during the marathon between 4 a.m. and 2 p.m.:
- Sunset Boulevard between North Havenhurst Drive and Clark Street/North San Vicente Boulevard.
- North San Vicente Boulevard between Sunset Boulevard and Melrose Avenue.
- Santa Monica Boulevard between La Cienega Avenue and North Doheny Drive.
- North Doheny Drive between Santa Monica Boulevard and Beverly Boulevard.
Parking will not be permitted along the marathon course, and “No Parking” signs will be posted before the race. Instead, public parking will be available at the following locations for a fee:
• City Hall Parking Lot, 8300 Santa Monica Blvd.: corner of Santa Monica Boulevard and Sweetzer Avenue.
Kings Road Parking Structure, 8383 Santa Monica Blvd.: corner of Santa Monica Boulevard and Kings Road.
• La Jolla/Havenhurst Lot, 1046 Havenhurst Dr.: Santa Monica Boulevard and Havenhurst Drive.
• La Peer Lot, 623 La Peer Dr.: Melrose Avenue and La Peer Drive.
• Orange Grove Lot, 1114 N. Orange Grove Ave.: Santa Monica Boulevard and Orange Grove Avenue.
• Pacific Design Center, 8687 Melrose Ave.: San Vicente Boulevard and Melrose Avenue.
• Spaulding Lot, 7718 Santa Monica Blvd.: Monica Boulevard and Spaulding Avenue.
• 901 Hancock Parking Structure, 901 Hancock Ave.: Santa Monica Boulevard and Hancock Avenue.
• West Hollywood Park Parking Lot, 647 N. San Vicente Blvd.: San Vicente Boulevard and Santa Monica Boulevard.
• West Hollywood Park Parking Garage, 619 N. San Vicente Blvd. (enter parking structure from Robertson Boulevard at El Tovar Place).
• El Tovar Parking Lot, 8752 El Tovar: El Tovar Place and east of Robertson Boulevard.
For more information about the Marathon closures, including road closures and alternate access routes, call (213) 542-3000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also contact the City of West Hollywood’s Special Events Division at (323) 848-6307.