Greetings and welcome to City Scoop. Today is Wednesday, August 15, the 228th day of 2012. Here’s what’s going on in West Hollywood today.
The Sunset Strip Music Festival kicks off with a unique multi-course dinner that benefits the art programs at West Hollywood Elementary School. “Taste Music” features a specially created menu and honors legendary rock photographer Bob Gruen who has photographed stars ranging from Madonna to Muddy Waters to John Lennon (the icon shot of Lennon in the New York City t-shirt). The event is at 7 p.m. at the , 1200 Alta Loma Road.
Could a bicycle sharing program, much like the ZipCar program, be in the city’s future? The city’s Transportation Commission will discuss just that at its monthly meeting. Also on the agenda is a discussion about interim parking regulations for Hammond Street between Sunset Boulevard and Phyllis Avenue. The Transportation Commission meets at 7 p.m. in .
Ryan Holiday dove into his PR career at age 19 and has learned over the years how to spin a story, control the blogs and thereby control the news. He’s led many successful campaigns including American Apparel and bestselling author Tucker Max. Holiday shares some of his secrets in a new tell-all, Trust Me, I'm Lying: Confessions of a Media Manipulator. Holiday discusses and signs copies of his book at 7 p.m. at Book Soup.
Sponsored by the Russian Advisory Board, the recreational club “Time Presses” hosts its monthly Wednesday Night Social Club featuring karaoke singing, movies and a potluck meal. The evening offers a chance for laughs and good times as well as the opportunity to communicate in both Russian and English. The social club runs from 6:30-9:30 p.m. in Great Hall in . Admission is free.
Bands Playing in Town
- Crash Diet with Glamour Punks, Deimonds, Purple Church, Dead End Gypsies, Sister Doll and Suicide Romance at the Whisky a Go Go. Doors open at 7 p.m.
- Airplane Boys at the Roxy Theatre. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.
- Run, Run, Run with Gina & the Eastern Block, The Tender Box and Battle Tapes at the Viper Room. Show starts at 8 p.m.
- Honeyhoney with Monsters Calling Home and Shana Halligan at the Roxy Theater. Doors open at 8 p.m.
- Champagne Champagne with the Knux and Emily’s Army at the Troubadour. Doors open at 8 p.m.