Greetings and welcome to City Scoop. Today is Tuesday, June 26, the 178th day of 2012. Here’s what’s going on in West Hollywood.
Elvis may have been the King, so does that make his daughter Lisa Marie the Princess? Here’s your chance to find out as Lisa Marie Presley plays the in an 8:30 p.m. show. Touring to promote her third album, “Storm & Grace,” the only daughter of Elvis and Priscilla has been getting raves for returning to her family roots with this moody, Southern goth album.
Blue Boy, a novel about a 12-year-old Indian-American boy in Ohio who doesn’t fit in with the other kids, will be discussed at this month’s Lambda Literary Book Club gathering. The book by Rakesh Satyal chronicles the boy’s gradual acceptance of his homosexuality in the context of realizing he is the reincarnation of a Hindu god. Reviews have called Blue Boy “brilliant” and “witty.” The monthly Lambda Literary Book Club meets 7-8:30 p.m. at the West Hollywood Library.
It’s a movie-lover’s delight as hosts authors Robert Crane and Christopher Fryer as they discuss and sign, not one, but two books offering unique insights into how Hollywood works. Crane co-wrote My Life as a Mankiewicz: An Insider’s Journey Through Hollywood with writer/director/producer Tom Mankiewicz, the son of screenwriter/director Joseph Mankiewicz (All About Eve, Cleopatra). Meanwhile, Crane and Fryer co-wrote Jack Nicholson: The Early Years, the only biography in which Nicholson has ever participated. The signing starts at 7 p.m.
Bands Playing in Town
- CMA Songwriters Series with Kristian Bush (from Sugarland), Bill Anderson, Bob DiPiero and Bobby Pinson at House of Blues. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., show at 8 p.m.
- Karaoke and Pole Dancing Competition at the Viper Room. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.
- 2:54 with Widowspeak at the Troubadour. Doors open at 8 p.m.
- Red Magic with Merlo, Connex and Tay at Whisky a Go Go. Doors open at 8 p.m.
- Jhameel at Roxy Theatre. Show starts at 8 p.m.
- Lisa Marie Presley at Roxy Theatre. Show starts at 8:30 p.m.