Greetings and welcome to City Scoop. Today is Thursday, May 18, the 138th day of 2012. Here’s what’s going on in West Hollywood today:
Artist Mary Younakof presents ``Spectrum,'' a 14-minute live performance art piece in which she will orchestrate participants wearing dresses from her yearlong project ``343 Dresses: The Chromatic Convergence Project.'' The participants will assemble and re-assemble to create moving color formations. The performance is at 7:30 p.m. in space B215 of the Blue Building of the Pacific Design Center. The “Spectrum” performance is done in conjunction with an art reception being held in the PDC from 5-8:30 p.m.
In support of Bike to Work Day, the city will host ``pit stops'' for bicyclists, offering water, coffee, maps and gifts at three locations. The stops are at the intersections of (1) Santa Monica Boulevard and San Vicente Boulevard, (2) Santa Monica Boulevard and Martel Avenue and (3) Santa Monica Boulevard and Formosa Avenue. The pit stops will be open 7 a.m. to 10 a.m.
Learn how perfumes are designed and prepared in a special fragrance workshop. Angela Allyn, the Activity Director at JFS/Freda Mohr, will lead the workshop which will also include scent sniffing. The fragrance workshop starts at 10 a.m. in the Community Center in Plummer Park. Admission is free and simultaneous translation into Russian will be available.
The Sunset-Doheny mixed-use hotel project is on the Planning Commission agenda. Approved by the City Council in 2010, the hotel at 9040 Sunset Blvd comes before the Commission requesting to add a 5,000 square-foot nightclub and increase the height of the building by eight feet to include a bar area on the rooftop pool area. Planning Commission starts at 6:30 p.m. in the City Council Chamber on street level of the West Hollywood Library.
Bands Playing in Town
- Quinto Sol at House of Blues Foundation Room. Doors open at 6:30 p.m.
- Skeme with Them, Hoodini & King, Commoshun and Go at Whiskey a Go Go. Doors open at 7 p.m.
- Super Black Market, So & So, Viza and Diamond Lane at House of Blues. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.
- The Parlotones with Ryan Star, Queen Caveat and From Indian Lakes at Roxy Theatre. Show starts at 7:30 p.m.
- King Fantastic record release show with El Prez and YP at the Viper Room. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.
- Flight to Mars Benefit Tour featuring Mike Mcready of Pearl Jam with Mistress of Reality at the Troubadour. Doors open at 8 p.m.
- DJ Royark at Roxy Theatre. Show starts at 8 p.m.
- Maya Rudolph & Gretchen Lieberum Are Princess: An Evening of The Music Of Prince at Largo. Show starts at 8:30 p.m.