Greetings and welcome to City Scoop. Today is Thursday, July 12, the 194th day of 2012. Here’s what’s going on in West Hollywood today.
LA-based alt rockers Acidic headline at the . The quartet made up of lead singer/guitarist Michael Gossard, bassist Ted Dubrawski, guitarist Mike Thompson and drummer Matt Whitaker has been described by Alternative Press as rocking like “Funeral Party, Cage the Elephant, Young the Giant.” The band’s third full-length album, “Chronic Satisfaction,” came out in September 2011. Doors open at 8 p.m., Acidic is scheduled to perform at 10:45 p.m.
The Sunset Strip is the happening place on Thursday nights thanks to the , a certified farmers’ market that also features live music and cooking demonstrations. This week the Market will include a special chef dinner presented by Pink Taco Sunset Strip executive chef Jose Aleman featuring Ensalada del Mercado (with heirloom tomatoes, goat cheese and olive oil) and tacos de parrillada. Live music will be by Blank Tapes, Mighty Forces and The Sweet Hurt. Open 5-9 p.m., the is in the old Tower Records overflow parking lot, just east of Horn Avenue.
West Hollywood is currently the epicenter of the national spoken word universe as inkSlam continues for its second day. Dubbed. “L.A.’s Premier Poetry Festival, inkSlam features poetry workshops, panel discussions, showcases and competitive “slams.” Today’s events include a women’s writing workshop at 5:30 p.m.; a women’s showcase, “She Rocks,” at 8 p.m.; and 16 poets competing in an indie slam competition at 10 p.m. All events take place at the , 544 N. Fairfax Ave. Tickets available through the Greenway Arts Alliance
“Gay Elders” is the discussion topic for this month’s meeting of the TRIBE gay men’s discussion group. This discussion will be programmed entirely by gay men over the age of 50 and will include the historical perspective of the gay rights movement as well as what the younger generation needs to understand about the past to guide the movement’s future. TRIBE meets on the second Thursday of each month at 7:30 p.m. in the Community Room in . Admission is free.
Commission and Board Meetings
- The Lesbian and Gay Advisory Board will meet at 7 p.m. in . Items on the agenda include discussion of making the permanent and the use of public bathrooms based on perceived gender.
- The Rent Stabilization Commission will meet at 7 p.m. in the Council Chamber at the Items on the agenda include an apartment on Orange Grove Avenue and an apartment on Laurel Avenue.
Bands Playing in Town
- The Moby Dicks in a Tribute to Led Zeppelin with Six Gun, LA Velvet, Venrez, To the Death, the Hard Way, AFTER and Uncle Daddy at the Key Club. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., show at 7 p.m.
- Logic at the Roxy Theatre. Doors open at 7:15 p.m.
- London Cries (formerly Juke Kartel) with Thomas Nicholas Band, Right the Stars and Xiren at the Viper Room. Doors open at 7:30 p.m., show at 8 p.m.
- Shaufrau with Primo Swine, Angels from Below and The at the Whisky a Go Go. Doors open at 8 p.m.
- Acidic with That Noise, thatwasthen, Albert Garret & the Bad Romantics and Plastic Revolution at the Troubadour. Doors open at 8 p.m.
- Chum (Phish tribute band) with Stephen Brower & the Silent Majority and Parents Frog Tribe at the Roxy Theatre. Doors open at 8:30 p.m.