Greetings and welcome to City Scoop. Today is Sunday, August 12, the 225th day of 2012. Here’s what’s going on in West Hollywood today.
Here’s a chance to meet Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks, Billie Holiday, Josephine Baker, former presidential candidate Shirley Chisholm and many more ladies of history. Actress Sandy Brown, best known for TV’s Hannah Montana and Tyler Perry’s House of Payne, brings all these African-American ladies to life with her one-woman show, Oh, Yes She Did! Showtime is 8 p.m. at the , 544 Fairfax Ave.
is celebrating the Italian holiday of Ferragosto by roasting a 200-pound pig, the traditional Italian way of observing the holiday. Cecconi’s will start serving the roasted pig at 2 p.m. and won’t stop until the last piece is served. For $26 a plate, you can join the fun.
It may not have all the drama of the 1990s campy nighttime soap opera, but the does have lots of fresh produce for sale. Open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., the certified market is a popular destination for locals looking to stock up on fresh items to start the week. The market is located on Melrose Place (just off Melrose Avenue) between Orlando Avenue and La Cienega Boulevard.
Bands Playing in Town
- United Sounds of Africa with 2Face, M.I., BRYMO, J Martins, Iyanya, Jesse Jagz, Timi Dakolo at House of Blues. Doors open at 8 p.m., show at 9 p.m.
- IM5 with the Lost Patrol, Staump Music School and Arianna Afsar at Whisky a Go Go. Doors open at 6 p.m.
- The Photo Atlas with De5tro and Louis Gaston at the Viper Room. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.
- Wednesday 13 with Dommin, Switchblade 77 and Scurvy Kids at the Roxy Theatre. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.
- Secret Sundayz at Key Club. Show starts at 10 p.m.