Greetings and welcome to City Scoop. Today is Saturday, July 14, the 196th day of 2012. Here’s what’s going on in West Hollywood today.
Francophiles can celebrate Bastille Day, France’s equivalent of America’s Independence Day, with a special French-themed meal at Fig & Olive Melrose Place. The restaurant will offer French Riviera-inspired cuisine crafted by executive chef Pascal Lorange, cocktail and Aperitivo specials, live music, and festive red, white, and blue decorations.
Looking for some good bargains? Then just cruise some of Weho’s residential streets and see what your neighbors have to offer. The city is sponsoring a city-wide yard sale – 68 homes are participating – offering everything from clothing and kitchen items to books and DVDs. The city is also sponsoring a document-shredding service and electronic waste collection site in the parking lot of from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Align your body and your soul through a 30-minute yoga class. If you’ve never done yoga before, this is a chance to get a taste of how relaxing it can be. The session is designed for beginners – be sure to wear loose-fitting clothes. Yoga mats, music and healthy snacks will be provided. The session is at 1 p.m. in the Community Room of the . Best of all, it’s free.
See some of the best new gay-themed movies before they hit the theatres as Outfest, the annual LGBT film festival, continues for its third day. Nineteen different programs are scheduled today – comedies, dramas, documentaries, plus a few anniversary screenings and a panel discussion about the evolution of gay portrayals in TV sitcoms over the last 35 years.
The InkSlam poetry festival, the largest spoken-word festival on the West Coast, concludes after four days of rhyme time, panels and workshops. Today’s events include a workshop on the business of the spoken word at noon, a writing workshop at 1:30 p.m. and the Western Roundup finals at 8 p.m. All events take place at the , 544 N. Fairfax Ave. Tickets available through the Greenway Arts Alliance
Bands Playing in Town
- Twenty Two Hundred, Absinthe, Day Zero, Apeyga and Third Attempt at Whisky a Go Go. Doors open at 7 p.m.
- Bad Loud (featuring Joey Cape of Lagwagon) with Chris Shiflett & the Dead Peasants, Future Villains and the Barefoot Bandits at the Viper Room. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.
- James Hunter with Jess Dee at the Troubadour. Doors open at 8 p.m.
- The Hang with Duchess, La Cienega Collective and Israel at Roxy Theatre. Show starts at 8:30 p.m.
- The Bon Apetite Grub Crawl at Roxy Theatre. Show starts at 9 p.m.
- Club Bang at Key Club. Show at 10:30 p.m.