West Hollywood is gearing up for its busiest week of the year as the annual gay pride celebration comes to town.
With the message is “ . . . and Proud of it!”, the festivities begin Friday and run through Sunday. Here’s a run down of the Pride events.
The Annual WeHo Dyke March will take place on Friday at 7:30 p.m. starting on San Vicente Boulevard, south of Santa Monica Boulevard. The march will proceed east on Santa Monica Boulevard to La Cienega Boulevard and then return to West Hollywood Park
The 2nd annual PRIDE Purple Party – A Celebration of Women runs Friday from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. Hosted by Fortune Feimster and Jennie McNulty this event features live entertainment, dancing, gourmet food trucks and community outreach organizations booths. This event is free.
The two-day LA PRIDE Festival will take place on Saturday from noon to midnight and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. in West Hollywood Park. A highlight of the festival will be a one-hour live performance on Saturday from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. by rap artist Lil’ Kim as well as other live entertainment on multiple stages. The festival includes dance venues, a water park (a first for the festival) and hundreds of exhibitors and food vendors. Admission is $20. Tickets can be purchased online at www.lapride.org and at the main entrance on San Vicente Boulevard or the new south entrance on Robertson Boulevard at El Tovar.
The LA PRIDE Parade is Sunday starting at 11 a.m. The parade will travel west on Santa Monica Boulevard, starting at Crescent Heights Boulevard and ending at Robertson Boulevard. The parade generally lasts two to three hours.
Public Facilities Closures
- will be closed from Monday at 10 p.m. until Wednesday, June 13 at 5 p.m.
- will be closed Friday-Sunday. The library will reopen on Monday at 11 a.m.
- will be closed from Tuesday until Wednesday, June 13 at 8 a.m.
- San Vicente Boulevard between Santa Monica Boulevard and Melrose Avenue will be closed from Thursday at 8 p.m. until Monday at 7 a.m.
- Santa Monica Boulevard from Fairfax Avenue to Doheny Drive will be closed Sunday from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Streets one block north and south of Santa Monica Boulevard (Fairfax Avenue to La Peer Drive) will be closed Sunday from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Crescent Heights Boulevard from Romaine Street to Fountain Avenue will be closed Sunday from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The City of West Hollywood will suspend enforcement of permit parking for the PRIDE Festival from Friday at 4 p.m. until Monday at 7 a.m. However, all meter parking will be enforced. Note that the parking restrictions in Los Angeles and Beverly Hills may still be enforced, so be aware of the West Hollywood city boundaries.
Friday & Saturday Special Event Parking Locations:
- Kings Road Parking Structure, 8383 Santa Monica Blvd – $ 7.50
- Hancock Parking Structure, 901 Hancock Ave. – $7.50
Sunday Special Event Parking Locations:
- Kings Road Parking Structure, 8383 Santa Monica Blvd. – $15
- Hancock Parking Structure, 901 Hancock Ave. – $15
- La Jolla/Havenhurst Lot, 1043 La Jolla Ave. – $15
- La Peer Lot, 623 La Peer Drive – $15
- Orange Grove Lot, 1114 N. Orange Grove Ave. – $15
- Spaulding Lot, 7718 Santa Monica Blvd. – $15
- Pacific Design Center (enter off Melrose Avenue) – $20
For more information on street and facility closures during the PRIDE Festival 2012, call (323) 848-6456 or visit www.weho.org
For more information regarding PRIDE 2012 celebrations visit www.lapride.org