Greetings and welcome to City Scoop. Today is Friday, July 20, the 202nd day of 2012. Today is also the 43rd anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing. Here’s what’s going on in West Hollywood today.
A stolen bicycle leads to a cross-country quest in Pee-wee’s Big Adventure. This hilarious 1985 romp sees the man-child Pee-wee interacting with ninjas, buckin’ broncos, gypsies and dinosaurs, all in the name of getting his beloved bike back. It also marked director Tim Burton’s breakthrough movie. Pee-wee’s Big Adventure screens as part of the Bicycle Film Festival taking place this weekend at the Silent Movie Theatre, 611 N. Fairfax Ave. Showtime is 9:45 p.m.
Sex, Life, and Hannah is the latest installment of the juicy woman-on-top book series authored by Dorota Skrzypek. This book chronicles the exploits of Hannah, a 20-something female professional trying desperately to make sense of the L.A. single life. Writer’s Digest hails it as “an honest, sensitive, and intelligent investigation of the human heart.” Skrzypek discusses and signs copies of her book at 7 p.m. at .
Dancing Queens have plenty of choices on a Friday night in Weho. From the giant dance floor at the to the two floors of dancing at with , , Ultra Suede and in between, there’s always a room on the dance floor for guys, and gals, who want to shake their booty.
Bands Playing in Town
- Summer Slaughter Tour featuring Cannibal Corpse, Between the Buried and Me at House of Blues. Doors open at 2 p.m., show at 2:30 p.m.
- Prowler with 210 to Lowell, Faultline, Snow Black Sunday and Estafets at Whisky a Go Go. Doors open at 7 p.m.
- Dizzy Wright at the Key Club. Doors open at 7 p.m., show at 7:30 p.m.
- The Lonely Drunks Club with Brando’s Island, Coma and Inside the Black at the Viper Room. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.
- The Zeros with The Muffs and The Flytraps at the Troubadour. Doors open at 8 p.m.
- Talib Kweli at Roxy Theatre. Doors open at 8:30 p.m.