Greetings and welcome to City Scoop. Today is Friday, May 4, the 125th day of 2012. Here’s what’s going on in West Hollywood today.
Steve DeAngelo, executive director of Oakland’s Harborside Health Center, the state’s largest medical marijuana dispensary, talks about the evolution of marijuana laws. “Journey Through Cannabis Reform” will focus on reform efforts of the past two decades and what lies ahead for the movement. The free talk gets underway at 2 p.m. in .
What will the future look like? How is what we’re doing today going to influence the future? And what should we be doing differently? Those are just a few of the questions that will be addressed in a panel discussion, “Constructing the Future,” featuring USC architecture professor Ric Abramson, novelist/media historian Norman Klein and West Hollywood City Councilmember John D’Amico. This is the final of the “WHAP!” lecture series co-sponsored by the city and California Institute of the Arts. The discussion starts at 7 p.m. in the City Council Chamber in . Free.
The Third Annual is underway. Designed to promote awareness of the world’s pressing issues through film, the festival, which runs through Sunday, has almost 100 films on tap to raise consciousness. The main venues for screening are the Regent Showcase Theatre at 614 La Brea (at Melrose) and the at 1107 Kings Road. For a complete schedule, log onto the festival website by clicking here.
What happens when a lawyer everyone despises is murdered? A partner in the law firm is arrested, but his trial, complete with legal maneuvers and surprises, leaves everyone on the edge of their seats. That’s the premise of Death on a High Floor: A Legal Thriller. It’s the debut novel from Charles Rosenberg, a script consultant for LA Law, Boston Legal and The Practice, who also provided on-air commentary during the O.J. Simpson civil trial for E! cable network. Rosenberg discusses and signs copies of his book at 7 p.m. at .
It’s the final chance to vote for West Hollywood’s Worst Intersection in our . This week’s poll asks you to choose between 15 major traffic intersections in West Hollywood city limits for the one that deserves the title of Worst Intersection. Vote by 5 p.m. and then tell us why in the comment section. The winner will be announced on Saturday.
Bands Playing in Town
- Keith St. John’s Hard Rock Saints with Whisky Six, Doug Aldrich, Brian Tichy, Michael Devin, The Aviators and Dirty Minds at the Whiskey a Go Go. Show starts at 7 p.m.
- Devin The Dude with Coughee Brothaz North, Money Mafia, Barnard and Sik Mob at the Roxy Theatre. Show starts at 7 p.m.
- 3rd Annual LA Bluegrass Situation: Ed Helms' Whiskey Sour Radio Hour ft The Lonesome Trio at Largo. Show starts at 8 p.m.
- The Dreaming with The Lonely Drunks Clubs Band, 9 Electric, Goldsboro and Fight The Machine at the Viper Room. Show starts at 8 p.m.
- Rita Wilson at the Troubadour. Show starts at 8:30 p.m.
- Clockwork Orange at the Key Club. Show starts at 10:30 p.m.
- 3rd Annual LA Bluegrass Situation: Punch Brothers at Largo. Show starts at 10:30 p.m.