Greetings and welcome to City Scoop. Today is Wednesday, May 9, the 130th day of 2012. Here’s what’s going on in West Hollywood today.
The automated parking garage behind City Hall is on the agenda for the Public Facilities Commission meeting. Public Works Director Oscar Delgado will make a presentation about the proposed garage and answer Commissioner questions. The meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. in the Community Conference Room in . The public is welcome to attend.
Two stars of ABC’s General Hospital put the sexy into Legendary Bingo. Carolyn Hennesy, who plays mob lawyer Diane Miller, and Ronnie Marmo, who plays crocked cop Ronnie Dimestico, will call the numbers alongside hostess with the mostest Bridgett of Madison County. Miller and Marmo are the celebrity ball callers for the second game of the evening starting at 9 p.m. at . Proceeds benefit the 68 Cent Crew Theatre Company. Note to General Hospital fans: it’s not unusual for other cast members to drop by during the game.
“Sex in the City” is the discussion topic for the first meeting of “SHE: West Hollywood’s Lesbian Discussion Group.” Designed to provide an open space to build relationships, engage in dialogue and find creative solutions for issues currently facing lesbians, the group will meet on the second Wednesday of each month at 7:30 p.m. in the Community Meeting Room in the . Free.
For a discussion of queer art and literature, the Schindler House is the place to be as the MAK Center for Art and Architecture presents “Q.E.D.: Part 2, What Matters.” A writer, an artist and a critic will have a discussion about contemporary issues facing queer art and literature. The conversation starts at 7 p.m. at the , 835 N. Kings Road. $7 per person.
Lillian Hellman was a giant of 20th Century letters and one of the most successful female playwrights on Broadway. Yet the author of The Little Foxes and Toys in the Attic is today remembered more as a toxic, bitter survivor and literary fabulist. In A Difficult Woman: The Challenging Life and Times of Lillian Hellman, historian Alice Kessler-Harris attempts to put the controversial writer’s life, words and works into perspective. Kessler-Harris discusses and signs the book at an author event at starting at 7 p.m.
Bands Playing in Town
- Obsidian with Calvillo, Fire Tiger, Interim Divine and Stevie Brock at the Roxy Theatre. Show starts at 7:15 p.m.
- Mid City Entertainment with the Bad, Bad Things, Erik Anders and Matt DiMarino at the Roxy Theatre. Show starts at 7:30 p.m.
- The Spazmatics with Neo Geo, DJ Drea and Louis Gaston at the Viper Room. Show starts at 8 p.m.
- Hear Kitty Kitty with Spankshaft, Portraits, the Scarlet Effect and Lauren Tyler Scott at the Whiskey a Go Go. Show starts at 8 p.m.
- Jonathan Wilson with Allah-Las at the Troubadour. Doors open at 8 p.m.
- Jenny Slate with Ed Helms and Steve Agee at Largo. Doors open at 8:30 p.m.