Greetings and welcome to City Scoop. Today is Thursday, May 31, the 152nd day of 2012. Here’s what’s going on in West Hollywood today.
Less than a month after her death, the biography Whitney Houston!: The Spectacular Rise and Tragic Fall of the Woman Whose Voice Inspired a Generation was in bookstores. Author Mark Bego put together a well researched work that covers her 30-year career which peaked in 1992 with the release of the hit movie The Bodyguard and its Number one hit “I Will Always Love You.” Bego discusses Houston and signs copies of his book at starting at 7 p.m.
One of comic Andy Kaufman’s best known characters was the audience abusing lounge singer Tony Clifton. Sometimes performed by Kaufman, sometimes by others, the Clifton character was a staple in the Taxi star’s comedy shows. Despite Kaufman’s death 28 years ago, Tony Clifton lives on. The has booked Clifton for a month-long engagement, appearing every Thursday and Friday night through the end of June. Backed by a band and burlesque dancers, Clifton proves how much mayhem he can create, especially when it comes to the famous Hooker Raffle. Showtime is 9 p.m.
Some of the metal rock’s best drummers gather for a tribute concert to Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham. May 31, 1948 was the birthday of the Whole Lotta Love man who died in 1980. To honor Bonham, Whitesnake drummer Brian Tichy has organized the event that will see almost two dozen drummers performing their favorite Zeppelin songs, backed by a house band. The Bonzo Birthday Bash is at . Doors open at 8 p.m., show at 9 p.m.
Bands Playing in Town
- Travis Porter at the Key Club. Doors open at 7:30 p.m., show at 8 p.m.
- Rakaa and Prevail with 2MEX, lMNO, Rebels to the Grain and Tassho Pierce & Creed Chameleon at the Viper Room. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.
- Active Child with Lord Huron and Annie Stela at the Troubadour. Doors open at 8 p.m.
- The Ground Beneath with Shine Blackhawk and the Wolf at the Whisky a Go Go. Doors open at 8 p.m.
- James McCartney with the Rambles and DJ Dayle at Roxy Theatre. Show starts at 8 p.m.
- Bop Skizzum with Bad Lucy at Roxy Theatre. Show starts at 8:30 p.m.
- Hype Thursdays at Key Club. Doors open at 10 p.m., show at 10:30 p.m.