Greetings and welcome to City Scoop. Today is Thursday, August 9, the 222nd day of 2012. Here’s what’s going on in West Hollywood today.
For the 50th anniversary of Marilyn Monroe’s death, a new biography of the screen sex bomb is out. Marilyn: The Passion and the Paradox reveals new information about her childhood foster homes, sexual abuse, multiple marriages and untimely death at age 36. Author Lois Banner discusses and signs copies of her book at 7 p.m. at .
The world’s finest athletes may be competing in the 2012 Olympics in London right now, but there’s a different type of Olympic competition going on here. Some of the world’s finest comedians compete for the 2012 Comedy Olympics at the . Comedians perform before a panel of eclectic judges ranking in Olympic style 1-10 for the gold medal in categories ranging from storytelling to heckler handling to “tight 5” (best five minutes of material). The Comedy Olympics start at 10 p.m.
The Sunset Strip is the happening place on Thursday nights thanks to the , a certified farmers’ market that also features live music and cooking demonstrations. This week is National Farmers’ Market Week, so the Market is encouraging shoppers to create their own chef dinner from items sold at the market. Live music is by Steve Taylor, Alaska Reid and Aura Bakker. Open 5-9 p.m., the is in the old Tower Records overflow parking lot, just east of Horn Avenue.
The West Hollywood Library is closed today for an all-day staff training. The library will reopen on Friday with regular hours: Monday-Thursday 11 a.m.-7 p.m.; Friday-Saturday 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday closed.
Boards and Commissions
- The Performing Arts and Cultural Affairs Subcommittee of the Arts and Cultural Affairs Commission meets at 5 p.m. in . Items on the agenda include possible co-sponsorship of the June 2013 California Men’s Gathering Short Film Festival and approving a “Lesbian Families Living in the Deep South” art display as part of the June 2013 One City/One Pride events.
- The Rent Stabilization Commission meets at 7 p.m. in the Council Chamber in the . Items on the agenda include interest on apartment security deposits.
- The Lesbian and Gay Advisory Board meets at 7 p.m. in . Items on the agenda include co-sponsorship of the C.I.T.Y.x1 Thanksgiving event and of the Tom of Finland Erotic Art Fair.
Bands Playing in Town
- One Drop with Vajra, Jamie Alimorad, Andrea Dawn and Hi Roots at the Roxy Theatre. Show starts at 7:30 p.m.
- The Rambles with New Beat Fund, Blue Flames, Mostly Sunny and The Spreewells at the Viper Room. Show starts at 8 p.m.
- Enemy of Nazarene with 3 Legged Horse, Bad Moon Brothers and Infernal Alliance at the Whisky a Go Go. Show starts at 8 p.m.
- Sarah Jarosz with Willy Watson at the Troubadour. Doors open at 8 p.m.