Greeting and welcome to City Scoop. Today is Saturday, May 5, the 126th day of 2012. Here’s what’s going on in West Hollywood today.
“All Families Matter,'' the first in a three-part workshop on building families, gets underway at the . Tannia Esparza of the L.A. Gay and Lesbian Center will discuss LGBT family formation, strategies for affirming all families and the unique complexities that LGBT-parented families address. The free discussion starts at 10:30 a.m.
Teens ages 14-18 can become a force for change in the community. “Teen Shout Out” provides an opportunity for teens to find out how to make a difference, meet other teens and get involved in a variety of group activities. Teen Shout Out is from noon to 3 p.m. in Fiesta Hall in . Admission is free.
A nomad writer finds herself roughnecking it on a wildcat operation in a meth-ridden former boom town in San Joaquin Valley. When a coworker turns up dead, she suspects foul play and sets out to solve a murder mystery, unless she becomes the next victim. That’s the premise behind Helen Knode’s new novel Wildcat Play: A Mystery. Knode discusses and signs her book at at 2 p.m.
Anxious to see the Weho version of ? The trendy Mexican eatery was originally scheduled to open its second LA location on Cinco de Mayo but technical difficulties have postponed the launch until the end of May. However, Pink Taco is offering a sneak peek of its new location at 8225 Sunset Blvd. by opening its doors for one day only – Cinco de Mayo. The festivities start at 11:30 a.m. and run until 2 a.m.
Metal mariachi band Metalachi put the cinco in the last year’s Cinco de Mayo celebration at Roxy Theatre. The gig was so successful; they’re back for more cinco-ing. Putting a mariachi twist on metal songs, Metalachi leaves you both shaking your head in amazement and laughing at their antics. You haven’t lived until you’ve heard their version of Led Zeppelin. Metalachi plays the Roxy starting at 8 p.m.
Bands Playing in Town
- Neblina with Potatohead Bobby, The One And Onlys, Castle Town Convicts, Jess & Cait, Thomas Lancaster and Throw The Goat at the Whiskey a Go Go. Show starts at 7 p.m.
- Dirty Little Secrets with Vim Furor, Fevers and The Only Ocean at the Key Club. Show starts at 7:15 p.m.
- Val And Her Lovers with Sonsoles Musica, Adrien Vera, RocKimera, Ralph Oyaga, and Hotel Sleep at the Viper Room. Show starts at 8 p.m.
- Meshuggah at House of Blues. Show starts at 9 p.m.
- Rocky Votolato with Kevin Long at the Troubadour. Show starts at 9 p.m.
- 3rd Annual LA Bluegrass Situation: Steep Canyon Rangers at Largo. Show starts at 9 p.m.
- Club Bang at the Key Club. Show starts at 10:30 p.m.