Greetings and welcome to City Scoop. Today is Friday, June 1, the 153rd day of 2012. Here’s what’s going on in West Hollywood today.
Five LGBT comics kick off Gay Pride Month with outrageous jokes as part of the opening gala for the Outlaugh 2012 Festival. Comedians Ant, Nico Santos, Kelly Mantle, Justin Martindale and Sandra Valls will all perform their stand-up routines starting at 8 p.m. at the Macha Theatre, 1107 Kings Road. A portion of the proceeds will benefit The Lavender Effect, the foundation creating a LGBTQ Museum and Cultural Center in Los Angeles.
The Pacific Serenades chamber music ensemble will perform works by three gay composers – Miguel del Aguila, Laura Karpman and Mark Carlson – in a concert titled “Aloud and Proud.” Composer and musicologist Byron Adams will also offer thoughts about what it is like to work as a gay composer. The concert starts at 8 p.m. in the Council Chamber in the . Prior to the concert, a kick-off party at 7 p.m. will celebrate the many LGBT cultural events being held as part of the One Pride/One City gay pride celebration during June.
The Sunset Strip clubs turn back the clock to celebrate the 80s with five nightclubs having 1980s themed nights. It’s done to promote the new movie Rock of Ages which is set on the Sunset Strip in 1987. Various celebrities will make appearances at the clubs while tickets to the world premier of the movie will be giveaway. Starring Tom Cruise, Alec Baldwin and Julianne Hough, Rock of Ages opens nationwide on June 15.
Bands Playing in Town
- Warner Drive with the Shakers, Kill the Complex, Life Down Here, Lost in Kostko and Picture Me Broken at the Roxy Theatre. Show starts at 6:15 p.m.
- Best of reggae/ska with Los Dispiertos, Ras Rebel & the Bluntest, Pachamama, LA CRUCIAL and Vitalites at the House of Blues. Doors open at 7 p.m., show at 8 p.m.
- Hillbilly Herald with Vera Mesmer, Vayden and Symphony at the Viper Room. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.
- Tycho with Mister Lies at the Troubadour. Doors open at 8 p.m.
- JetBoy “Feel the Shake 25th Anniversary Show” with Bourbon Saints, State Line Empire and A Tragic Romance at the Whisky a Go Go. Show starts at 8 p.m.
- Sry Bang with Starry Eyes, Transport, Go Sunday and Sammy Sezo at the Roxy Theater. Show starts at 8:30 p.m.
- Clockwork Orange at Key Club. Show starts at 10:30 p.m.