Greetings and welcome to City Scoop. Today is Friday, June 8, the 160th day of 2012. Here’s what’s going on in West Hollywood today.
The three-day LA Pride celebration kicks off with the Dyke March starting at 7:30 p.m. The march will leave and go east on Santa Monica Boulevard to La Cienega Boulevard and then return to the park where the second annual “Purple Party: Celebrating Women” gets underway. The party will feature food-vendor trucks, community booths and performances by Fortune Feimster, Frenchie Davis, Beverly McClellan and Jenny McNutly, plus appearances by cast members of the Real L Word. DJs will also spin dance tunes in various pavilions. Latina media figure, activist and health-care advocate Rita Gonzales will also receive the 2012 Etheridge Award on the main stage. The Purple Party is free and runs 7 p.m.-midnight.
The Los Angeles Art Association at at 825 N. La Cienega Blvd. hosts the opening reception for the annual “Out There” all-media art exhibition celebrating the LGBT experience. Sponsored in part by the city’s Lesbian and Gay Advisory Board, the exhibition will be up through June 15. The reception runs 6-9 p.m. Gallery hours are Tuesday-Saturday 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Who killed who and who’s out to get who? That’s what you’ll keep asking while watching Deathtrap, a play-within-a-play thriller with more twists and turns than a pretzel. First produced on Broadway in 1978, the Ira Levin play ran for four years and over 1800 performances. The LA Gay and Lesbian Center has a new production of Deathtrap that’s been getting rave reviews since opening in April. Playing in the intimate Davidson/Valentini Theaters at the Village at Ed Gould Plaza, 1125 McCadden Place, Deathtrap has its final performances this weekend – Friday-Saturday at 8 p.m., Sunday at 7 p.m.
Bands Playing in Town
- Light and Brando’s Island at the Viper Room. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.
- Gondwana with Quinto Sol at House of Blues. Doors open at 7:30 p.m., show at 8:30 p.m.
- Badwater (CD release party) with the Lonely Drunks Club Band, Cruz, The Diamond
- Maps & Atlases with The Big Sleep and Hands at The Troubadour. Doors open at 8 p.m.
- Balkan Beat Box with Palenke Soultribe and Wave Sleep Wave at the Roxy Theatre. Show starts at 8 p.m.
- LPMD at Roxy Theatre. Show starts at 8:30 p.m.
- Clockwork Orange at the Key Club. Show starts at 10:30 p.m.