Greetings, and welcome to today’s City Scoop. Today is Wednesday, April 18, the 109th day of 2012.
On this day after Tax Day, there's plenty to do in West Hollywood. including a Big Read family storytelling session, 16 comics performing at the Comedy Store and an author discussing his recovery from addiction. Plus the city will hold a neighborhood meeting about 1350 Hayworth Avenue and focus groups regarding the upcoming plastic bag ban.
The city will hold a neighborhood meeting concerning 1350 N. Hayworth Avenue to get input regarding a new luxury condominium building proposed for that site. for an ultra-modern 4-story, 17-unit building proposed for that site, saying it did not fit in with the neighborhood. The meeting starts at 6 p.m. in the Community Conference Room in City Hall.
The City will hold a focus group with small businesses to discuss the key components of the proposed plastic bag ban which the City Council will hear later this spring. Two different focus groups will be held, the first from 10-11 a.m., the second from 2-3 p.m. Both will be in held in Great Hall in Plummer Park.
Author Bill Clegg will sign copies of his new book, Ninety Days: A Memoir of Recovery. Clegg, who previously penned Portrait of An Addict as a Young Man, shares his struggle to stay clean and sober for 90 days, the point at which addiction is believed to loosen its grip. The event starts at 7 p.m. at Book Soup on Sunset Blvd. and is free.
As part of the city’s of Ray Bradbury's classic novel Fahrenheit 451, a family storytime will take place in the Children’s Theater at the . Storytime starts at 3:30 p.m. and is open to all.
Sixteen headlining comics perform as part of the Comedy Store’s 40th anniversary celebration. Among the comics performing are Iliza Shlesinger, Sebastian Maniscalco, Argus Hamilton, Steve Trevino, Chelsea Peretti, Sarah Tiana and Ian Edwards. Showtime is 9 p.m.
Bands Playing in Town
- Paganfest with Helsott, Bionicore and Happy Family Values is at the Key Club. Show starts at 6:45 p.m.
- Angels Fall, Hell City Rockers, 7 Lions, Autumn Twilights and Candy Box are at the Viper Room. Show starts at 8 p.m.
- Foxy Shazam with Maniac, Cadaver Dogs, Rosemary's Billy Goat and DJ High Voltage at the Roxy Theatre. Show starts at 8 p.m.
- Melpo Mene with BMill, Justin Wiggins Band and Crooked Saint is at the Whiskey A Go Go. Show starts at 8 p.m.
- Tech N9NE with Machine Gun Kelly, Krizz Kaliko, Mayday, Prozak and Stevie Stone is at the House of Blues. Show starts at 8:30 p.m.
- The Revival Tour 2012 with Chuck Ragan (Hot Water Music), Cory Branan, Tommy Gabel (of Against Me!), Nathaniel Rateliff is at the Troubadour. Show starts at 9 p.m., however the Troubadour website says the show is already sold out.
(Go here for more events happening today)